6890N GC-MS maintenance advice

Hello. I have an Agilent 6890 GCMS. It has been a LONG time since I've had to do my own maintenance so looking for advice. The GC-MS instrument is on but needs a columns change/septa/liner/etc but can someone remind me what I need to do to prepare the instrument for changing all of these parts? For example, some GCMS instruments don't need to be shut down and can reduce injection port/column oven/transfer line temperatures. What about flow and is there any other "quirk" of this system I should be aware of before taking on the task? Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • What model MS?  

Oxygen and heat are the enemies of column phase, inertness, and clean parts.  It is recommended that ALL zones, inlet, oven, transferline, ion source, and quadrupole, be turned down to a very low temperature, like 40°C, or off and wait long enough for them to cool before properly setting the instrument to vent following the instructions in the operating manuals.  When the software tells you that vent is complete, you can turn off the MS and the GC if you'd like, or you can set the inlet pressure to OFF or 0psi.

Once the system is vented you can remove the column, perform all the necessary maintenance, install the new column and other consumables, and pump it down. If you're taking the time to vent it, you might as well clean the ion source, install new filaments, clean the inlet, replace the gold seal and septum, vacuum out the fans, change the rough pump oil, all those things that need to be done on a regular basis.  There are documents in the Files area of this community to help with those tasks.

• What model MS?  

Oxygen and heat are the enemies of column phase, inertness, and clean parts.  It is recommended that ALL zones, inlet, oven, transferline, ion source, and quadrupole, be turned down to a very low temperature, like 40°C, or off and wait long enough for them to cool before properly setting the instrument to vent following the instructions in the operating manuals.  When the software tells you that vent is complete, you can turn off the MS and the GC if you'd like, or you can set the inlet pressure to OFF or 0psi.

Once the system is vented you can remove the column, perform all the necessary maintenance, install the new column and other consumables, and pump it down. If you're taking the time to vent it, you might as well clean the ion source, install new filaments, clean the inlet, replace the gold seal and septum, vacuum out the fans, change the rough pump oil, all those things that need to be done on a regular basis.  There are documents in the Files area of this community to help with those tasks.

Children
Was this helpful?