effect of acetonitrile as dissolving solvent for samples on gc column or on quad?

HI everyone

my friends tooled me that  acetonitrile as dissolving solvent for samples on GC/MS has bad effect on stationary phase of column or on quad of ms

I tried to search it but did not find any thing 

some regional engineers who worked at regional agilent services in Egypt tolled me that is true on the practical way and there is no any theoretical principle or guidelines for that

so i am very confused because on theoretical bases there is no bad effect on using acetonitril 

so any help in that topic I appreciate  it

Parents
  • From personal experience, running a single injection that was reconstituted in acetonitrile and MTBSTFA made the column bleed ions (m/z 207) on a DB-1ms column go from ~500 abundance (on hexane injections or no injection blanks after removing needle) to over 9 million... likely indicating loss of stationary phase of the column. The column was no longer useful for other assays that actually utilized the stationary phase of the column, but continued to "work" for the acetonitrile samples. That being said, acetonitrile blanks still looked like crap in full scan with lots of peaks. Not to mention how quickly the repeller voltage maxes with this assay (need to clean the source). 

My suggestion is to avoid acetonitrile in the assay development stage to avoid the headaches later. Just because you can find literature using acetonitrile injections with GCMS for assays that "work" doesn't mean it is the best way to go about things. 

• From personal experience, running a single injection that was reconstituted in acetonitrile and MTBSTFA made the column bleed ions (m/z 207) on a DB-1ms column go from ~500 abundance (on hexane injections or no injection blanks after removing needle) to over 9 million... likely indicating loss of stationary phase of the column. The column was no longer useful for other assays that actually utilized the stationary phase of the column, but continued to "work" for the acetonitrile samples. That being said, acetonitrile blanks still looked like crap in full scan with lots of peaks. Not to mention how quickly the repeller voltage maxes with this assay (need to clean the source). 

My suggestion is to avoid acetonitrile in the assay development stage to avoid the headaches later. Just because you can find literature using acetonitrile injections with GCMS for assays that "work" doesn't mean it is the best way to go about things. 

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?