8355 SCD detector low response

I have my GC/SCD for analyzing butane samples. After I did maintenance on my pump for the SCD, I lost my signal. All I did was change and top off the oil. I was able to get a little response but the repeatability is not good. I use to get around 7000 area counts with my 10 ppm isopropyl mercaptan standard, but now I only get 2000. I tried changing both inner and outer tubes. I checked the reaction cell and the flow in the restrictor and it was good. I also just use oxygen for the ozone generator. Is there a recommended way for doing maintenance? Do I have to change everything when I do any maintenance? 

Parents
  • I do have a preventative measure to this problem, but you will need an extra vacuum pump.

A great way to ruin a perfectly running SCD is to disrupt the burner, and by willingly turning off the vacuum (for maintenance) to the system it will disrupt the burner. When I started working with SCD's I banged my head with vacuum pump maintenance too, then I had the idea to install a 3-way valve on the vacuum line to supply a secondary vacuum to the system.  Now when we do vacuum pump maintenance, we hook a second pump up to the system so our SCD system never looses vacuum.

My advice would be to get a second vacuum pump to have as a backup if you do not already have one.

Purchase a 3-way valve from a fitting vendor of your choice, I like Swagelok.

The valve and fitting we are using is B-45XF8, and it will need three hose adapters Part No.  B-8-HC-1-8

Next maintenance cycle when you have to shut it down , cut the line and install a three way valve and make sure to use hose clamps.

When doing vacuum pump maintenance with this setup, I have a few steps I like to follow.

1. Before any work is done, record the cell and burner pressure for reference.

2. Turn off the ozone if your spare pump has no trap.

3. Connect the spare pump to the 3-way valve, do not switch the valve yet

4.Turn on the spare pump, let it warm up for 1 minute.

5. After the spare pump has warmed up, turn the 3-way valve so the system is being supplied by the spare pump

6. Compare the systems cell and burner pressure to see they are the same using the spare pump, if drastically different swap back to the main pump. Fix the connections on the spare pump (O-rings, clamps, etc...) and try again.

7. If the system pressure is acceptable with the spare pump, go forward with maintenance on the main pump.

8. After maintenance, reconnect the main pump and turn it on. Let it run for at least a minute.

9. Turn the 3-way valve so the main pump is supplying vacuum to the SCD system, verify that the cell and burner pressures are where they are suppose to be. 

10.  If the pressures match or are close to the recorded values, turn the ozone back on and the job is complete. You can proceed running in about 15 minutes.

11. IF the pressures are drastically off, swap the system back to the spare pump and fix all your connections on your main pump.

• I do have a preventative measure to this problem, but you will need an extra vacuum pump.

A great way to ruin a perfectly running SCD is to disrupt the burner, and by willingly turning off the vacuum (for maintenance) to the system it will disrupt the burner. When I started working with SCD's I banged my head with vacuum pump maintenance too, then I had the idea to install a 3-way valve on the vacuum line to supply a secondary vacuum to the system.  Now when we do vacuum pump maintenance, we hook a second pump up to the system so our SCD system never looses vacuum.

My advice would be to get a second vacuum pump to have as a backup if you do not already have one.

Purchase a 3-way valve from a fitting vendor of your choice, I like Swagelok.

The valve and fitting we are using is B-45XF8, and it will need three hose adapters Part No.  B-8-HC-1-8

Next maintenance cycle when you have to shut it down , cut the line and install a three way valve and make sure to use hose clamps.

When doing vacuum pump maintenance with this setup, I have a few steps I like to follow.

1. Before any work is done, record the cell and burner pressure for reference.

2. Turn off the ozone if your spare pump has no trap.

3. Connect the spare pump to the 3-way valve, do not switch the valve yet

4.Turn on the spare pump, let it warm up for 1 minute.

5. After the spare pump has warmed up, turn the 3-way valve so the system is being supplied by the spare pump

6. Compare the systems cell and burner pressure to see they are the same using the spare pump, if drastically different swap back to the main pump. Fix the connections on the spare pump (O-rings, clamps, etc...) and try again.

7. If the system pressure is acceptable with the spare pump, go forward with maintenance on the main pump.

8. After maintenance, reconnect the main pump and turn it on. Let it run for at least a minute.

9. Turn the 3-way valve so the main pump is supplying vacuum to the SCD system, verify that the cell and burner pressures are where they are suppose to be. 

10.  If the pressures match or are close to the recorded values, turn the ozone back on and the job is complete. You can proceed running in about 15 minutes.

11. IF the pressures are drastically off, swap the system back to the spare pump and fix all your connections on your main pump.

Children
Was this helpful?