8355 SCD detector low response

I have my GC/SCD for analyzing butane samples. After I did maintenance on my pump for the SCD, I lost my signal. All I did was change and top off the oil. I was able to get a little response but the repeatability is not good. I use to get around 7000 area counts with my 10 ppm isopropyl mercaptan standard, but now I only get 2000. I tried changing both inner and outer tubes. I checked the reaction cell and the flow in the restrictor and it was good. I also just use oxygen for the ozone generator. Is there a recommended way for doing maintenance? Do I have to change everything when I do any maintenance? 

Parents
  • Hi,

I only have very old experiences of the Sievers SCD, do not blame me if I am wrong

pump maintenance:
    ... does the vacuum pressure remain the same after maintenance (as before)?
    ... is the pump out filter (oil mist filter) fine or could there be a minor blockage?
    I always wiped out the reaction cell (PMT through/filter) during every pump maintenance. Unfortunately the PMT has to be removed & the PMT can "age" quickly due to external light exposure (minimize exposure). Please read the manual carefully!

ceramic tubes:
    * did you let the detector (ceramic tubes) cool down sufficiently before ventilating the pump?
        I had once heard that the ceramics can have a negative surface effect if ventilated incorrectly.
    * When changing the tubes, new ferrueles must also be used.

outside burner :
    * Flows to the burner: have you checked or really measured the flows?

* At that time I had checked for leaks from the burner by holding diluted liquid sulphur (mercaptan) to all screw connections. When the signal increased there was a leakage.

regards, M.

• Hi mhardacker, 

Thanks for responding. 

For the pump maintenance - we always change to a new mist filter so there hopefully should be no issues for blockage. I also noticed blockage with the traps even though it is new, but we check the vacuum to make sure it was the same after the maintenance. I will try wiping the PMT. I never did that before after doing a maintenance.

As for shutting down, I follow the manual - it does not say how long you should wait between steps. Do you have any suggestions? See pic below. What is your recommendation, should I always change both tubes once I take the SCD down? Is there other steps to make sure it works the same when I bring it back on?

For the burner - I had my coworker check the flow with the flow meter and it looked good. Thanks for the advise on the leak check. I will try that and see. 

Thanks!

• Sorry, I tried to capture the section of the shutdown procedure I follow. It is page 56 from the Agilent 8355 Sulfur and 8255 Nitrogen Chemiluminescence Detectors manual - online pdf. 

Reply Children
No Data
Was this helpful?