How to clean SPS 4 probe?

I found major deposits within my autosampler probe after doing an analysis with MP-AES which the rinse solution (high purity water) wasn't able to remove.

How do I remove these deposits within both the probe and the autosampler tubing?

Thanks!

Parents
  • Hi Shane,

What type of samples are you analysing and what is the matrix?

I typically prefer to rinse with the same matrix as the samples being analysed. This helps to keep the tubing clean. Once a probe is visibly dirty it can be difficult to clean. I would suggest replacing the probe and using a more aggressive rinse. The minimum i suggest is 2% HNO3, although if you are measuring something basic, a different rinse may be more appropriate.

If you want to try to clean the probe running some acid through it may be able to clean it. 10% HNO3 may do what you need. You could use a syringe to connect to the probe to rinse it, or use the autosampler pump. 

Regards,

Peter

• Hi Shane,

What type of samples are you analysing and what is the matrix?

I typically prefer to rinse with the same matrix as the samples being analysed. This helps to keep the tubing clean. Once a probe is visibly dirty it can be difficult to clean. I would suggest replacing the probe and using a more aggressive rinse. The minimum i suggest is 2% HNO3, although if you are measuring something basic, a different rinse may be more appropriate.

If you want to try to clean the probe running some acid through it may be able to clean it. 10% HNO3 may do what you need. You could use a syringe to connect to the probe to rinse it, or use the autosampler pump. 

Regards,

Peter

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?