I found major deposits within my autosampler probe after doing an analysis with MP-AES which the rinse solution (high purity water) wasn't able to remove.
How do I remove these deposits within both the probe and the autosampler tubing?
We have a recommended regeneration procedure for the probe, usually used for ICP-MS to get rid of sticky elements that contribute to the background. Note this is an aggressive strip and clean…
Thank you Peter Riles and Gareth Pearson for the brilliant feedback. Prior to your replies managed to clean the probe effectively by using a very dilute detergent (Hellmanex III) in an ultrasonic…
What type of samples are you analysing and what is the matrix?
I typically prefer to rinse with the same matrix as the samples being analysed. This helps to keep the tubing clean. Once a probe…
Thank you Peter Riles and Gareth Pearson for the brilliant feedback. Prior to your replies managed to clean the probe effectively by using a very dilute detergent (Hellmanex III) in an ultrasonic batch.
The following method was used:
1. Draw water through the probe into the tubing connected to the probe using a syringe.
2. Submerge the tubing and the probe together into the ultrasonic bath.
3. Ultrasonicate for 15 minutes.
Following this I noticed that the water alone was sufficient to thoroughly clean the probe itself however a small blockage was still observed in the tubing.
4. Add a very small aliquot of detergent into the ultrasonic bath.
5. Using a syringe again, draw the dilute detergent solution into the probe and tubing and submerge fully in the bath.
6. Ultrasonicate for a further 15 minutes.
No deposits remained on/in the probe or tubing.
I then used Peter Riles advice of using the nitric acid (2%) as a rinse solution and this has functioned well at reducing deposit formation. If the need should arise in the future for an aggressive rinse according to Gareth Pearson's contribution, I will keep the method in mind.
Thank you all!