ICP-OES and ICP-MS difference

If I get Na result 100 ppm on ICP-MS and 95 ppm on ICP-OES, what is the reason? How can we explain this difference?

Parents
  • Perhaps you should first look at the precision of one of those values first. For example if the uncertainty of the 100ppm result on ICPMS is 5%, so 95-105ppm and the OES has similar uncertainty there is significant overlap of those 2 values if you include the error bars. In my world (environmental analysis) we would simply call this "analytical variability" and consider the values identical, statistically speaking. 

In industries where 5% is a real big deal a lot of effort is required to reduce that uncertainty. 

• Perhaps you should first look at the precision of one of those values first. For example if the uncertainty of the 100ppm result on ICPMS is 5%, so 95-105ppm and the OES has similar uncertainty there is significant overlap of those 2 values if you include the error bars. In my world (environmental analysis) we would simply call this "analytical variability" and consider the values identical, statistically speaking. 

In industries where 5% is a real big deal a lot of effort is required to reduce that uncertainty. 

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?