how the internal standard and the blank are applied in the ICP OES

Hello,

I am brand new user of Agilent 725 ICP-OES. I'm setting up an ICP-OES method for quantification of As, Al, Zn, Fe, Mg, Ca, K, P, Na, K, Ni, V in veg oils and I used Yttrium (Y) as an internal standard in my method. I noticed that internal standard IS stability ratio plot trends downwards. I am wondering what is leading to the IS decreasing from sample to sample. I am using  Agilent ICP Expert II software (version 2.0.4.280), and I hope someone can help to understand how the software is using the internal standard to generate the elements concentration at the end of the run. Also, I am calibrating the instrument with a multi-element std solution at 2, 5 and 10 ppm concentration including a blank. I am wondering how the internal standard and the blank  are used in the calculation of the calibration curve.  Thanks in advance.

Parents Reply
  • Hello CGGWO,

Thank you so much for your answer, 

Indeed, I am using Ar and O2 for the plasma gas. Still I can see some soot formed on the inert tube at the end of the run. Our lab is planning to buy a ICP-MS. Did you notice a large variation in P for the same oelochemical sample when measured with ICP-MS ? would be possible please to know why did you choose the N-Methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP) solvent ?

Thank you so much for you help.

Children
  • Hi FOGs22,

I have to say I don't know anything about the ICP-OES instrumentation and setup. But if you see carbon in the sample path after the plasma maybe you can increase the O2 a little bit.

We don't use NMP anymore because we have microwave acid digestion now for all our samples. So carbon is no problem for us anymore and we skipped the introduction of oxygen to the plasma. However, we started using NMP when we bought the ICP-MS first, because NMP is mixable with some water. All our single element standard solution were in watermatrix. So that way we could spike NMP with our standards to setup the calibrations for different elements.

P determination with NMP was stable. But at that time we were forced to measure it at m/z47 as PO because at m/z 31 there was a significant interference of O2. This also meant that detection limits for P were relatively high. Probably around 2-3 ppm. But this was along time ago. Now all ICP-MS instrument have a collision/reaction cell which eliminates a lot of interferences. Now I measure P at m/z 31.

Hope this helps!

• Thank you so much for your detailed answer. Really helpful.

Thanks!

Was this helpful?