how the internal standard and the blank are applied in the ICP OES

Hello,

I am brand new user of Agilent 725 ICP-OES. I'm setting up an ICP-OES method for quantification of As, Al, Zn, Fe, Mg, Ca, K, P, Na, K, Ni, V in veg oils and I used Yttrium (Y) as an internal standard in my method. I noticed that internal standard IS stability ratio plot trends downwards. I am wondering what is leading to the IS decreasing from sample to sample. I am using  Agilent ICP Expert II software (version 2.0.4.280), and I hope someone can help to understand how the software is using the internal standard to generate the elements concentration at the end of the run. Also, I am calibrating the instrument with a multi-element std solution at 2, 5 and 10 ppm concentration including a blank. I am wondering how the internal standard and the blank  are used in the calculation of the calibration curve.  Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Hi,

I am using ICP-MS.

In the masshunter software the counts of the IS in your blank are a sort of reference point used to calculate ratios (counts of element (in blank/sample/calstd) divided by counts of IS and then multiplied by 100%. This gives ratios for each element. The ratio's are plotted against the concentration.

If the IS stability plot deviates a lot from 100% (below 80% or above 120%) then your calblk and calstd's are not correctly matrix matched to your samples.

Hope this helps 

• Hi,

I am using ICP-MS.

In the masshunter software the counts of the IS in your blank are a sort of reference point used to calculate ratios (counts of element (in blank/sample/calstd) divided by counts of IS and then multiplied by 100%. This gives ratios for each element. The ratio's are plotted against the concentration.

If the IS stability plot deviates a lot from 100% (below 80% or above 120%) then your calblk and calstd's are not correctly matrix matched to your samples.

Hope this helps 

Children
Was this helpful?