Methanol as a solvent for ICP-OES

I am completing some sample preparations by SPE (for chromatography analysis) and I want to investigate breakthrough metal concentration for the eluted sample by analysis on our ICP-OES.  The SPE elute solution is 5% ammonia in 20% water and 75% methanol.  This solution will be diluted in water/nitric acid (x10) before analysis on the ICP.  Is it OK is my ICP sample contains approximately 7% methanol and 0.5% ammonia?  Typically our samples are pure aqueous/nitric with no methanol.

Parents
  • Hi,

I don't expect much problems with the icp-oes measurement. However if doubts are about the chemical stability of the measured elements it's maybe better to dilute with at least 2-3% HNO3 solution where then the pH going below 7

Be aware that carbon based spectral interference are highly present in the spectra and check this with confirmation wavelengths.

• Hi Edgar, 

Thank you so much for getting back to me. 

Are there any safety concerns with adding HNO3 to an aqueous/methanol solution of approximately 90/10?

This has been raised as a potential safety issue.  As we don’t have any experience with this, I would appreciate any advice about additional safety protocols with this.  Or is this a common sample prep method where the water concentration is high enough to quench any rapid reaction?

Cheers, 

Nathalie

• Hi Nathalie,

yes, your right. Direct transfer of concentrated HNO3 to concentrated alcohol give an big exothermic reaction. 

If the alcohol or HNO3 is buffered with water, like the 90/10 from your explanation then the reaction goes slower (or doesn't start?) 

From my experience with HNO3 addition in wine or light spirits no big exothermic reaction started, only a bit warm. But always transfer the HNO3 in the safety cabinet and wait for a time and feel if the tube or beaker is (still) hot. If not then the reaction is stopped or negligible.

• Hi Nathalie,

yes, your right. Direct transfer of concentrated HNO3 to concentrated alcohol give an big exothermic reaction. 

If the alcohol or HNO3 is buffered with water, like the 90/10 from your explanation then the reaction goes slower (or doesn't start?) 

From my experience with HNO3 addition in wine or light spirits no big exothermic reaction started, only a bit warm. But always transfer the HNO3 in the safety cabinet and wait for a time and feel if the tube or beaker is (still) hot. If not then the reaction is stopped or negligible.

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?