Full spectrum on startup

Hi all

I have run a full spectrum on startup to check for contaminations. I was surprised with the high counts measured for most elements. 

Does that look right? Am I missing something? The first line is the full spectrum and below is the calibration run after it. 

• Hi, 

indeed this looks quite dirty, but the standards and blanks are OK. 
    Normally you would run a full scan to see a dirty quad e.g.  

This would affect the high masses like U 238 (high mass = high voltage, if there is dirt then arching is possible which would generate fake signals), but this has 0 counts, so absolutely fine. 
    what was the “full scan” sample?

• Hi cschulz

That was the first time I did a full scan. I did just with the other startup tasks. I believe it was just tuning solution? How do you recommend me to do it? Do I just change the vial on autosampler button on startup window? 

• This is contamination in tune solution, so change tune solution with freshly prepared. If the problem not solved check the initial tune.

• Hi elementallab, 

I would be surprised if this was contamination in the tune solution, we use the agilent 10ug/L Ce, Tl, Y,Co and Li tune solution. 

This is our settings for start up, but it does not allow me to change the solution at the tune/ISTD column, is there any way I can do it elsewhere? Or could I select full spectrum only and use autosampler position in the top bar? 

• Hi,

Probably  it was not clear in previous message. I see now that you use ISIS, so contamination could be somewhere in capillarity tube or valve – to check this you can test tune like sample in other vial  in auto sampler and look in signal monitor for problematic masses counts.

Regards,

• It is definitely not the cleanest solution, but nevertheless what is the reason you did a full scan?

If you are searching for contamination, the better way is to create a new batch, and add all masses. This could easily be done, by switching from the periodic table, to the mass scale. Click and hold the left mouse button, and add all masses. Some of them are prohibited (e.g. 40) and will not be selected.

Define a integration time of 0.5 - 1s and run the batch. Now you have data, which has a definite setting and therefore could be compared better to other systems.

Hope this helps a bit.

Goof Luck 

Chris

Was this helpful?