Practical considerations aqueous and organic measurements on a single system

Hi all,

At our lab we have one 5800 ICP-OES system with an AVS 7 and SPS 4 autosampler. At this moment we are using it to measure aqueous samples, but the plan is to use the same system to develop a method to measure sulfur in biodiesel.

I have the kit for semi-volatile solvents on hand. But before i start dismounting i was wondering what would be the most efficient way to allow both aqeous and organic solvents to be measured without having to retube the whole system several times per month.

My idea would be to acquire an extra SPS 4 autosampler for the organic solvents. In this case, only the torch/spray chamber/nebulizer and pump tubing need to be replaced when switching methods. Additionally this would allow each method to have it's own rinsing fluids ready to go.

I was hoping for some opinions on an efficient, cost effective and low maintenance solution for doing measurements in aqueous and organic matrices on a single ICP-OES system. If there are other important factors to consider, any information is more than welcome!

Best regards,

Harley

Was this helpful?