Hi there. I recently started using an ICP-OES and after replacing the less concentrated reference for a new one, the values for Tin and Antimony are higher than they should be. E.g. now reading 0.0045% for a sample that have no more than 0.0005%. Why?

Hi there. I recently started using an ICP-OES and after replacing the less concentrated reference for a new one, the values for Tin and Antimony are higher than they should be. E.g. now reading 0.0045% for a sample that have no more than 0.0005%. Why?

Parents
  • This is a difficult question to answer because I cannot see the data. Have you verified your results by using more than one wavelength for Tin and Antimony? What do you mean by "replaced the less concentrated reference for a new one"? Is this a certified reference material? How many calibrations points are you using? Are you using weighted fit?

• Hello, Tina.

Thanks for your reply. I have no experience with this spectrometer, as I have used an AES for liquids (oils) but not an OES for solid (metal) samples.

- The reference or standard that was changed is NOT a certified reference material, for what I understand. Its composition is not exact, eg. the concentrations are reported as: Sn <0.0005%, Sb<0.0001, As<0.0003, and so on. The only exact concentrations reported are for Bismuth  and Copper, as these two are very consistent when tested. This reference slab contains the lowest concentrations of metals/impurities. We bought it from the company who makes the spectrophotometer and it is identified as RPb11/(Serial number), if that gives you any information. The reason why it was changed it's because I ran out of the previous one.

- I haven't verified with other wavelength cause I don't know how to use that option. Is that from the software?

- I am not sure whether you use calibration and standardisation interchangeably but every time I standardise the equipment (after every optical cell cleaning) I use five different slabs with different concentrations of "contaminants" / metals.

-In regards to weighted fit, I am reading the weight percentages for each metal if that's what you mean.

If my reply is still vague it's because I have no previous experience with OES. Is there any text, website or document where I can find related info? I know the foundations of the technique but I don't know if my questions are too specific for the software or can be general to any OES device. 

• Hello, Tina.

Thanks for your reply. I have no experience with this spectrometer, as I have used an AES for liquids (oils) but not an OES for solid (metal) samples.

- The reference or standard that was changed is NOT a certified reference material, for what I understand. Its composition is not exact, eg. the concentrations are reported as: Sn <0.0005%, Sb<0.0001, As<0.0003, and so on. The only exact concentrations reported are for Bismuth  and Copper, as these two are very consistent when tested. This reference slab contains the lowest concentrations of metals/impurities. We bought it from the company who makes the spectrophotometer and it is identified as RPb11/(Serial number), if that gives you any information. The reason why it was changed it's because I ran out of the previous one.

- I haven't verified with other wavelength cause I don't know how to use that option. Is that from the software?

- I am not sure whether you use calibration and standardisation interchangeably but every time I standardise the equipment (after every optical cell cleaning) I use five different slabs with different concentrations of "contaminants" / metals.

-In regards to weighted fit, I am reading the weight percentages for each metal if that's what you mean.

If my reply is still vague it's because I have no previous experience with OES. Is there any text, website or document where I can find related info? I know the foundations of the technique but I don't know if my questions are too specific for the software or can be general to any OES device. 

Children
Was this helpful?