4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2019 3:17 AM by dmarchini

Column replacement

elirodrigues

Hi there,

I had to change the column of my GC-6850 couple of days ago.

While changing it I noticed that the ferrule on the detector side needed to be replaced.

The new ferrule would arrive in about 2 weeks only and I could not wait for that, so I had to position the nut & old ferrule back on the New column.

To do that I had to slide the column nut attached to the ferrule all the way through the new column.

I just wanted to know what are the chances that I could have damaged the column doing that.

Thank you so much.

• Re: Column replacement
          james_jenkins

Hi elirodrigues,

I updated the tags for better visibility. In a pinch, you can use the old ferrule if you can get it to seal. In any case, the suggestion I would have after viewing the picture would be that you cut a few cm's off the front of the column to avoid any ferrule particles causing you problems after you have pushed the column through the ferrule.

Regards

James

2 people found this helpful
              elirodrigues

Thank you for that James.

I actually have trimmed the column when I finished pushing the nut and ferrule through the column.

Saying that, I assume my contamination could be sitting at the inlet port of the GC.

jsh

Hi Eli

From the photo it seems that the ferrule has extruded quite a bit (over tight nut?) and thus I would also consider replacing the septum, liner and gold seal. I would also clean the injector with MeCl2 and acetone. I find that the graphite/vespel ferrules works best for me and even better would be to change to self-tightening column nuts.

Good luck.

dmarchini

I think you overtighted the nut, and pure graphite ferrules tends to "splat" like these ; I stopped years ago using graphite ferrules, now i use only graphite/vespel ones.

You can slide up your column in the nut then cut 2 inches avoiding to use the column full of ferrules particles, then set the right lengt (dependin if you are goin on detector or injector)as seen in

https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/quickreference/public/GC%20Column%20Installation%20Quick%20Reference.pdf

markin the column at the bottom of the nut with a marker then install it, try to not overtight the nut.