8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2018 10:19 AM by ryan_ohearn

Water contamination

pwebb

We have 3 GCMS set ups with the color changing oxygen/water filters.  In the 2 newer set ups the water becomes saturated while the oxygen does not.  Any ideas for the source of the water?

• Re: Water contamination
          james_jenkins

Hi pwebb,

I assume these are carrier gas traps. If the carrier gas is coming from a tank of He or H2, the source is usually wet gas from your vendor. In the case of larger indicating traps it may even be the tank or tanks before causing the issue and the traps are saturated. Saturated traps will eventually bleed water into the post trap carrier and it will show in the background of the msd.

If you are using a H2 generator (I suspect not since I see purge and trap tagged here) then the generator is the source and may need maintenance . Most H2 generators emit some water with the gas no matter how well you maintain the generator. I hope this helps.

Regards

James

1 person found this helpful
              pwebb

Thank you James.  I thought about the carrier gas.  The only issue I have is our older set up with the 5890/5972 uses the same helium and its filter gets saturated with o2 and water at the same slow rate.  On the other hand the 6890/5973 and 7890/5977 get saturated with water quickly and almost no o2.

james_jenkins

Interesting that the older system shows both, you can get in a situation with a local leak for that instrument , where pre gas filter you have a small air leak in the gas line fittings. Even though the gas line is under pressure, you can get O2 being pulled into the line as well. Thanks for posting and if you found the above helpful I encourage you to comeback and mark the response answered. Happy to see you using the Agilent Community

James

gchaplain

Hi,

James mentioned is it helium or hydrogen carrier gas. Just a thought, what grade is the gas on the CoA? If it is a lower grade, this maybe the cause of a wet gas.

As far as the oxygen filter on one instrument getting filled up more than the other instrument, sounds like a swagelok nut is loose connecting to the filter.

If the grade of gas is high, you could actually not use filters at all. This goes against everything we are told but we have 25 GCMSs with no gas filters on them carrying high grade helium. We never see any issue with the water or oxygen being high unless there is a leak.

ryan_ohearn

Hello pwebb,

I have been seeing this in the field that after about 12-18 months the water suddenly changes color and it has been pretty consistent with systems that haven’t had the filter changed. We recommend replacing the filters each year even if the filters haven’t changed color and they are now included during a PM if attached to a GCMS system under an Agilent Service Contract. I was leaving extra filters with customers if they hadn’t changed colors but then the water would change so we ended up changing them anyways.

Same situation as well where one would change and another didn’t but it was the same helium line and same methods on both instruments.

As for WHY it is changing I would also like to find out why, maybe I can ask some of our internal support if they can ask the supplier.

james_jenkins

Marking this as assumed answered, if there are still questions feel free to post again and we are happy to help.

James

pwebb

Hello, Thank you all for your assistance.  Things appear to be better over all.  We had some work done on the instruments the techs made some great suggestions that has improved and it looks like the gas quality is better.  Unfortunately, I am having a new issue with our Atomx.  I have done extensive maintenance, changed tanks, and yet there is still some water entering the system.  It is causing bad spetra the first 3 minutes of a run.  If I direct inject in the inlet it is fine so the problem in definitely not in the 6890 or 5975.  Not sure where the water is coming from as after the Bake the sparger is fine, but when I come in the next day there is condensation.  Any ideas?  Thank you.