9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 12:17 PM by ryoboyle

How to create a custom equation for response factor?

aminamood

Hi,

I'd like to create a system suitability summary report to include the calculation of response factor for each standard and RSD of those response factors in the selected data file set. Each data file has identified one internal standard compound, and three target compounds. I can set up a table for each compound, with columns for the area of each standard, and the current available fields in Intelligent Report allow me to calculate the RSD of the area for each compound, and it will allow me to show the response factor for the calibration table, but I want to get the response factor for each standard. I think all I need is the field name for the internal standard area, and then I can add the custom equation in the table to divide the compound area by the internal standard area.  Since I can extract the internal standard name, and the internal standard amount easily, I'm sure there has to be a field name for the internal standard area? This seems like a simple report?

Thanks for any help!

• Re: How to create a custom equation for response factor?
          ryoboyle

Hello,

To start off with, would you mind providing more information about the software product that you are accessing the intelligent reporter through? Is this OpenLAB CDS ChemStation, OpenLAB CDS EZChrom, OpenLAB CDS Data Analysis, or OpenLAB CDS 2? Also, what revision of that software product are you using?

aminamood

Hi, I'm using OpenLab CDS ChemStation, C.01.07. Thanks

ryoboyle

While there is not a built in field for just ISTD area, what might be the easiest solution for you is to use the Compare Two Compounds table.

This 'table' is actually a group which contains two tables. One of these tables is hidden while the other will be visible on the report. The idea is to filter each table to only display results for one of your compounds. The hidden table will be used to define variables that can then be called to populate custom columns on the visible table.

My recommendation would be set up the filter on the hidden table so that it is only populated with your ISTD results. Your visible table can then be filtered to only show results for one of your other three compounds. The hidden table already has variables defined for the area (C2Area) and amount  (C2Amount) of the compound you are filtering for which are then used to populate the Area C2 and Amount C2 respectively. This means that once you set up the filters, the visible table will show not only the area and amount of the compound that table is filtered for, but also the area and amount of the compound for which the hidden table is filtered.

While this might sound complicated, all of the hard work has already been done for you. All you really need to do is filter the tables for your compound and ISTD the Compare Two Compounds group does the rest. Let me know if you have any questions or need to me to clarify anything.

aminamood

Thanks, I'll give that a try and get back to you

ryoboyle

I just wanted to follow-up to see if my recommendations worked for you. Please let us know if you need any further assistance and we will be happy to continue working with you.

aminamood

Hi ryobyle, I was successful editing the "Compare Two Compounds" tables, however, we have six additional compounds in the standard that we'd like to quantitate, and it appears I'll have to set up separate tables for each compound. So....its not a great solution to my problem right now.

Is there a field name for the internal standard area?

ryoboyle

As I mentioned in my previous post, there is no default field for ISTD area. That being said, you can use the same strategy that is employed by the "Compare Two Compounds" table to create a new variable for ISTD area that can then be used to populate columns in other tables.

As is done in the "Compare Two Compounds" table, you can create a hidden table that is filtering for just your ISTD compound. You can make this table so that it only has a Peak Area column if that is the only value you are interested in. Below I have screenshots of how you can hide your table and filter based on compound name in the table properties (Right Click>Properties):

Unchecking the 'Visible' checkbox in the Advanced properties will make the table invisible on the report.

There are a many different ways you can filter the table for your ISTD compound. In this case, I am just filtering by the compound name.

You can then save the contents of this table as a new variable that can be called on other tables in your report. To do this, you need to go into the peak area column properties and edit the value expression:

You can then save the expression result as a variable with a unique key name (in this case I am using Sample_Name):

NOTE: Any table that is going to be using this variable needs to by below this hidden table on the report.

You can then create a custom column in your main results table that calls this ISTD Area variable:

Below is a preview from an example report I created. You can see that the ISTD area column is populating with the correct area value after formatting the report as outlined above.

Hopefully this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

1 person found this helpful