This Information Applies To: Agilent 1260 Infinity G1315x DAD or G1365x MWD Modules
Removing and re-installing Visible and UV lamps in Agilent 1260 Infinity G1315x DAD or G1365x MWD Modules.
Both the visible and UV lamps are consumable items and will eventually lose signal intensity leading to a drop in detector sensitivity. Also lamps will get to a stage where they can no longer be ignited, causing UV, or Visible lamp ignition errors.
Steps to follow
1. Please turn off all lamps and allow lamps to cool to room temperature before trying to remove or replace any lamps. Removing the UV lamp while the module is powered on risks exposure to UV light if the lamp is accidentally turned on while removed from the detector.
2. Remove the front cover and power off the detector module using the front power switch.
Tips: The visible lamp is on the left and the UV lamp is on the right side. (See Figure 1)
3. To remove the visible lamp, you first need to disconnect the left side connector leading to the visible lamp. To remove the UV lamp, disconnect the right-side connector leading to the UV lamp. (See Figure 2)
Caution: Only use a Pozidriv #1 PT3 screwdriver to remove the lamp screws. It is provided as part of your HPLC tool kit. Using a normal Phillips head driver on these screws can strip the heads resulting in unanticipated repairs. If you do not have the correct Pozidriv #1 PT3 screwdriver, then do not try to remove the lamps. Please stop and call your local Agilent Service Representative for assistance.
4. Using a Pozidriv #1 PT3 screwdriver, remove the screws show in blue in the previous picture for the lamp that needs to be removed (either visible of UV).
5. To install a new visible lamp, place the visible lamp with the flat side orientated toward the UV lamp as shown in the preceding, then tighten the screws using the Pozidriv #1 PT3 screwdriver. One side of the visible lamp is flattened. This is the side that faces the UV lamp as shown in the preceding diagram.
6. To install a UV lamp, insert the UV lamp into the detector and align the slot in the left side of the lamp with the alignment peg on the detector (See Figure 3). This ensures that the UV lamp is installed in the correct orientation.
7. Tighten the screws using the Pozidriv #1 PT3 screwdriver. For lamps or detectors that do not have this alignment peg, use the screw holes as a guide making sure the RFID tag used for lamp identification is positioned at the top as a guide for orientation (see next picture).
8. Plug the male connector to the lamp back into the female connector above the lamp that has been replaced.
9. Power the unit back on and check lamp ignition. For lamps without an RFID tag, reset the lamp hours counter in either your Agilent Lab Advisor EMF section.
10. Let the lamps warm up for at least 10 mins before running any diagnostic tests.
11. To check the correct installation of the lamp, please run the following tests in the Service and Diagnostics section of Agilent Lab Advisor. If either of these tests fail, then please call your local Agilent Service Representative.
- Wavelength Verification and Calibration Test
- Holmium Oxide Test
If these tests pass, please run the Intensity test. If this test passes your detector is now ready for use. If this test fails, please call your local Agilent Support Representative.
A failed Intensity test can indicate either the visible or UV lamp will need to be replaced depending on the failing wavelength in the Intensity Test. Also as the visible lamp shines through the UV lamp then discoloration or silvering of the UV lamp may lead to a drop in visible wavelengths.
Learn more on how to effectively troubleshoot your Agilent 1260 Infinity G1315x DAD or G1365x MWD Modules:
HPLC-1260-2260z - Changing lamps in G1315x DADs and G1365x MWDs e-learning course available at Agilent Education