This Information Applies To: Agilent Spectroscopy Systems, SPS4 Autosampler
The sample probe may be displaced from its correct position due to the probe hitting a sample vial or the sides of the wash reservoir. User calibration allows for minor adjustments to center a misaligned probe using a calibration wizard.
The following discussion is a summary of the steps required to run the Calibration Wizard. Refer to the Help section of the Agilent ICP Expert Instrument Software for the detailed procedure.
|Tip: The SPS 4 autosampler must be connected directly to the PC for the Calibration Wizard to work correctly.|
Before starting this procedure, always check the following
- The probe is straight and mounted tightly to the Z-axis slide.
- The spill tray and rack location mat are fitted correctly.
- Sample tubes sit vertically in the sample rack and are not leaning to one side. The fixed wash reservoir is correctly mounted.
- The rack configuration is correct.
|Tip: Close the ICP Expert application software before launching the Calibration Wizard.|
To access the Calibration Wizard:
- Click Start > Agilent > SPS 4 Calibration Wizard. Refer Figure 1.
Figure 1. Calibration Wizard program
Figure 2. Calibration Wizard screen
To perform a user calibration
- Ensure that the autosampler power is on.
Tip: The sample racks fitted should be empty and not contain any sample vials.
- Start the Calibration Wizard software. Refer Figure 2.
- Select the appropriate COM port from the drop-down list, and then click Connect in the Com Port field.
- Click Reset to start the calibration process.
- The button labeled Rear Left changes to orange and the sample probe moves to point Rear Left above the far-left sample well in the sample rack in that position. To adjust the probe position at point Rear Left do the following:
- Adjust the sample probe height to the top of the sample well using the Up/Down buttons.
- Adjust the XY position to the middle of the well using the arrow buttons.
- When the position of the probe is centered in the sample well, click Capture.
Tip: The indicator next to the Rear Left button changes from orange to green.
- The sample probe then moves to point Rear Right above the far-right sample well in the sample rack in that position, and the indicator next to the button labeled Rear Right changes to orange.
- Repeat Step 6a, b, and c for the remaining three positions in the following order: Rear Right, Front Left, and then Front Right.
- When all four points have been captured, a confirmation message is displayed asking if you want to write the new calibration values.
- Click Yes to write the calibration values. The autosampler is adjusted using the new calibration value.
- Click No if you want to retry. The calibration process is restarted.
|Tip: After each position has been completed, the autosampler will automatically move to the next position.|
After the calibration has been successfully completed, check the positioning of the sample probe by clicking each corner position button, and driving the Z-Axis position down. Confirm that the sample probe is positioned in the center of each well.
If the calibration fails or an error message appears, please contact your Agilent Service representative for assistance.
Learn how to effectively maintain, troubleshoot and operate your Agilent SPS 4 Autosampler and Spectroscopy Systems :
Agilent 5000 Series ICP-OES with ICP Expert e-learning path available from Agilent education