This Information Applies To: Agilent ICP-OES 5000 Series (5100/5110/5800/5900)
How to run the ICP-OES Performance Test after installation, preventative maintenance, repairs, and when troubleshooting.
The ICP-OES Performance Test runs a suite of tests including Resolution, Sensitivity, and Precision to determine the analytical performance of your instrument and sample introduction components. The test uses the wavelength calibration solution and a blank to create a one-point calibration, then reruns the wavelength calibration solution as a sample.
Tips: If 'Advanced Valve System Test' and 'Use Autosampler' are selected on the Tests tab, the Performance Test is not available
Prepare the test solutions:
Warning: Wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment when using acids
- Blank: 1% nitric acid solution in ASTM grade water Or Calibration blank solution-Ready to use (Agilent part number 5190-7001).
- Purchased wavelength calibration solution - diluted (Agilent part number ICM-630) Or Purchased ICP-OES wavelength calibration solution-Ready to use (Agilent part number 6610030100).
- Rinse: 1% nitric acid solution in ASTM grade water.
Prepare the instrument:
Ensure that the instrument meets the following guidelines before performing the Performance Test:
- Configured with the standard sample introduction system: SeaSpray nebulizer, double-pass cyclonic spray chamber, and 1.8 mm id standard torch.
- The torch, nebulizer, spray chamber, and pump tubing are clean and in good working condition.
- The external instrument exhaust is operating.
- The ICP Expert software is open.
- The polychromator heater and boost gas have been on for at least 20 minutes before lighting plasma.
- The plasma has been on for at least 20 minutes before running the test.
- The Peltier cooling has been on for at least five minutes before running the test.
Running the Performance Test
- Perform a dark current scan.
- Perform a wavelength calibration.
- Measure the Argon ratio and confirm it is within ±0.5 of the factory setting.
- Click Instrument > Tests > and deselect all tests except Instrument Performance
- Samples can be analyzed from the autosampler or introduced manually:
- Autosampler: select Use Autosampler and then place the wavelength calibration, rinse, and blank solutions in the locations as per the worksheet.
- Introduce solutions as prompted.
- Click Run Tests. This function automatically fills the appropriate method parameters and begins the test.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to introduce solutions if you are manually introducing the solutions.
- To print the report, click Print Preview > Print.
If the instrument performance tests pass, the system is in good working order. If any of the tests fail, contact Agilent Technical Support for additional troubleshooting.
Learn how to effectively maintain your Agilent ICP-OES:
ICPOES-EX-1130e - Agilent 5000 Series ICP-OES: Introduction to ICP Expert Software (Ver. 7.5) e-learning course on Agilent University