This Information Applies To: Agilent 5975 and 5977 Series GC/MSD with Foreline Pumps model Duo 2.5 or Duo 3
Procedure to replace oil pump in GC/MSD systems with a rotary vane pump. For optimal performance, execute this maintenance every six months.
- Foreline pump oil (AVF 45 platinum, 1 qt: p/n 5191-5851)
- Funnel (p/n 9301-6461) or equivalent
- Gloves, oil-free and solvent-resistant
- Screwdriver, flat-blade, large or equivalent
- Drain plug O-ring (if necessary) (p/n 0905-1515)
- Hex key to remove drain plug (5 mm for Pfeiffer pump, p/n 8710-1838)
Steps to follow
Warning: Temperature Hazard the foreline pump can cause burns if touched during operation. Allow the item time to cool and wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
Warning: Chemical Hazard, old oil may contain chemicals that may cause adverse reactions. Treat as hazardous waste and use appropriate personal protective equipment
Draining the foreline pump oil
- If necessary, slide the foreline pump to a safe, accessible location. The foreline pump may be located on the floor, on the lab bench next to the MSD, or under the analyzer chamber at the back of the MSD.
- Remove the fill cap (Figure 1). Use a flat screwdriver to lose it.
- Place a container under the drain plug. (Figure 2)
- Remove the drain plug with the help of the hex key. Allow the pump oil to drain out. The oil drains faster when it is still warm. (Figure 2)
If necessary, you can place a book or other object under the pump motor to tilt it up slightly.
Refilling the pump oil
- Reinstall the drain plug. (Figure 3)
If the old O-ring appears worn or damaged, replace it.
- Remove the propping object from under the pump motor.
- Add foreline pump oil until the oil level in the window is near, but not above, the upper line. (Figure 3)
The foreline pump requires approximately 0.28 L of oil. Drain the foreline pump
- Wait a few minutes for the oil to settle. If the oil level drops, add oil to bring the oil level near the upper line.
- Reinstall the fill cap (Figure 3).
- Move the foreline pump to its original position, and make sure that it is correctly installed.
- Pump down the MSD.
Learn more on how to effectively operate and troubleshoot your Agilent 5977 Series GC/MSD: