This Information Applies To: Agilent CI Source
During normal operation of the GC/MS, the CI ion source will need to be disassembled to proceed with abrasive ion source cleaning and / or routine replacement of consumable parts (filament and ceramic insulators). The ion source will then need to be assembled prior to re-installing. Correct abrasive cleaning, assembly, and installation are essential to robust and reliable operation.
- Gloves, clean, lint-free (8650-0030)
- Cloths, Lint Free (05980-60051)
- Hex Driver 1.5mm (8710-1570)
- Tweezers (8710-0007)
Figure 1. Parts Breakdown of the CI Source
Item Number Item Description Part Number 1 Setscrew G1999-20022 2 Filament screw G1999-20021 3 CI interface tip seal G3870-20542 4 CI repeller insulator G1999-20433 5 CI lens insulator G3170-20540 6 CI drawout cylinder G1999-20444 7 CI drawout plate G1999-20446 8 CI ion source heater block assembly G3870-60415* 9 Entrance lens G3170-20126 10 CI ion source body G3170-20430 11 CI ion focus lens G1999-20443 12 CI repeller G1999-20432 13 CI filament G7005-60072 14 Dummy filament G1999-60454 15/16 Curved Spring washer 3050-1374
* If replacement is required then contact Agilent for repair options
To Disassemble the CI source:
- Remove the ion source and place it on a clean cloth
- Use the 1.5mm Hex Driver to remove the gold plated screws and washers securing the CI filament and dummy filament to the CI ion source and remove them. ( See Figure 2 for steps 2-4)
- Separate the CI repeller heater-sensor block assembly from the CI ion source body.
- Remove the CI repeller and CI ceramic insulator from the heater-sensor block.
- Use the 1.5mm Hex Driver to remove the gold plated set screw from the side of the ion source body. ( See Figure 3 for steps 5 - 8)
- Pull the entrance lens and ion focus lens to remove them from the ion source body.
- Remove the CI drawout cylinder and the CI drawout plate from the CI ion source body
- Separate the entrance lens and ion focus lens from the lens insulator.
- Proceed with (+) How to Clean the EI/CI Source in the Agilent 5977A/B - GC/MS Articles - GC/MS Portal - Agilent Community or assembly if broken insulators or filaments were being replaced.
To Assemble the CI Source:
- Insert the CI drawout plate and the CI drawout cylinder into the CI ion source body. (See Figure 4 for steps 1 - 4)
- Assemble the ion focus lens, entrance lens, into the lens insulator.
- Slide these assembled parts into the CI ion source body.
- Install the setscrew that holds the lens insulator in place.
- Attach the ceramic disk to the repeller and place on the source body (See Figure 5 for Steps 5 - 7)
- Place the heater block assembly on top of the source body.
- Install the filament and the dummy filament using the two gold plated screws and spring washers
Caution: Do not overtighten the repeller nut or the ceramic repeller insulators will break when the source heats up. The nut should only be finger-tight
Learn how to effectively operate your 5977: