This Information Applies To: Agilent 7683B Automatic Liquid Sampler
Only use this alignment procedure if the injector hardware configuration has changed or if the Align Mode light comes on.
It is not necessary to align the turret after changing turrets.
Steps to follow to align the injector:
When the orange Align Mode light is on, the injector will not operate until the procedure has been successfully performed.
1. When the injector is not operating, remove all the vials from the turret.
2. Open the injector door, and remove the syringe.
3. With your finger under the shaft near the bearing on the needle support assembly, pull gently to release the bearing from the bearing clip in the syringe carriage. (Figure 1)
4. Carefully use the bearing to pull the rod down until you can lift the assembly out of the syringe carriage. (Figure 1)
Caution: Be careful not to pull the assembly by its metal shaft. The shaft is easily bent.
1. Guide, 2. Plunger Carrier Loop, 3. Bearing Clip, 4. Syringe Carrier, 5. Slide, 6. Bearing
5. Remove the injector from the mounting post, then remove the calibration probe from the bottom of the injector. (Figure 2) Save the screw and washer for later probe storage.
1. Torx T-10 screw and washer, 2. Calibration Probe
6. Put the injector back on the injector post, and use the round end of the needle support assembly to press the recessed Alignment button above the indicator lights. (Figure 3)
1. Alignment Button, 2. Align Mode LED, 3. Fault LED, 4. Run LED, 5. Ready LED
7. The injector goes through the following steps:
a. The injector clears the syringe carriage for turret rotation.
b. The turret rotates to verify that the needle support assembly was removed, then rotates to determine what type of turret is installed.
c. The syringe carriage moves all the way down, homes, then moves back up again.
d. The syringe carriage steps down until it touches the turret. This sets its position relative to the turret.
e. The plunger moves to calibrate stops.
8. When the injector stops and all four indicator lights flash, install the calibration probe into the syringe carrier. The probe installs just like a syringe. (Figure 4)
Figure 4 Installing the calibration probe
1.Caibration probe, 2. syringe Carrier
9. Press the Alignment button again:
a. The syringe carriage moves down and the turret rotates to verify that the probe is installed.
b. The turret rotates the calibration hole under the probe.
c. The probe moves down to calibrate the turret to the syringe carriage.
10. When alignment is complete, the orange Align Mode light will go out. Remove the calibration probe and secure it in its clamp below the turret using the Torx T-10 screw removed in step 5. (See Figure 2)
11. To reinstall the needle support assembly, hold it in your right hand and insert the upper end of the rod into the plastic guide to the right of the plunger carrier loop. (see Figure 5)
12. Turn the needle support assembly so that the flat surface of the slide glides up and down the syringe carriage tracks. (Figure 5)
1. Syringe Latch, 2. Cross-section of slide alignment, 3. Slide, 4. Needle Support Tracks
11. Align the bearing on the needle support assembly with the plastic bearing clip to the right of the syringe latch and push gently on the bearing until the assembly snaps into place.
12. Put the injector back on the GC.
13. Install the syringe.
Learn how to effectively troubleshoot your Agilent 7683B Automatic Liquid Sampler:
7683B Automatic Liquid Sampler Installation, Operation and Maintenance user manual on Agilent.com