This Information Applies To: Agilent 8890/8860 GC Systems
Early Maintenance Feedback is a useful feature on Agilent GC Systems and software that allows a user to monitor the maintenance needed on their GC. This feature allows for users to get a reminder that maintenance is due on their instrument before it causes a chromatography or even a hardware issue. If you are changing parts on your GC on a scheduled basis, either based on a certain passing of time or a specific number of injections, Early Maintenance Feedback (EMF) is the tool for you.
Note: For instructions on how to set up the EMF, see the article How To Clear Early Maintenance Feedbacks (EMFs) on the Agilent 8890/8860 Gas Chromatograph
Steps to follow
1. Press Maintenance on the top ribbon pane on the 8890 GC screen.
2. You will see the components of your GC on the Maintenance screen. In this case, we have ALS, Inlets, Columns, Detectors, and Instrument.
3. For example, if you press Inlets, it will take you to the Inlets Maintenance screen. You will be able to see both inlets from the tabs on top. In the picture below, we are looking at the Split-Splitless (SS) inlet. On the second tab, there is a Purge Packed (PP) inlet on the back of this GC.
4. From here you can select gold seal age, gold seal injections, liner age, liner injections, liner O-ring age, liner O-ring injections, septum injections, and split vent trap age, and split vent trap injections. You can press the down-facing arrow to bring up more option and information.
5. If you press on any of these options, a dialogue box will open with your EMF Settings for that specific item. For example, if you press Liner Age, you will see the Liner Age Settings dialogue box below:
6. Here you can set the Early Maintenance Feedback for the Liner Age. You can set a Service Warning or a Service Due. You can choose the time frame by pressing n the drop-down menu to select the time unit for your EMF setting, such as weeks, years, days, hours, minutes, or seconds. Once you have selected the time unit, you can click the field to the left of the unit to edit your time interval numeric value.
7. You can then can check the enable box and then apply to set your EMF for that particular item.
Tips: You can also access the EMF using a Web Browser Interface, as shown in the following video.
Learn how to effectively maintain your Agilent 8890/8860 gas chromatographs:
Agilent 8890 GC with OpenLab CDS e-learning paths available from Agilent education