This Information Applies To: 2100 Bioanalyzer, 2100 Expert software
Running the hardware diagnostics on the Agilent 2100 Bioanalyzer system can help to investigate whether the instrument performs as expected.
Steps to follow:
- An empty clean unused chip of any type (DNA, RNA, or protein)
- The test chip kit (p/n G2938-68300) consisting of an electrode / diode test chip and an autofocus test chip
|Tip: Verify that the test chip kit is within the expiry date and the test chips have been stored in their original bag. Avoid touching the underside of the test chips.|
The Bioanalyzer Troubleshooting and Maintenance Guide provides an overview of the diagnostics in the Hardware Diagnostics section.
- Start the Agilent 2100 Expert software.
- Access the hardware diagnostic tests by selecting the Diagnostics tab in the Instrument context of the 2100 Expert software (Figure 1).
- In case multiple 2100 Bioanalyzer instruments are connected to the PC, highlight the appropriate instrument in the tree view.
- Select any of the hardware tests from the list or choose Select All to run all tests.
- Select Start and follow the instructions as given by the 2100 Expert software.
- If there are any failures, repeat the failed tests in isolation.
- If the failures persist, send the diagnostic test results file to Agilent technical support in the country where the instrument is located. The results of diagnostic tests are stored as .xdy files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Agilent\2100 bioanalyzer\2100 expert\diagnosis. Alternatively, create a Support Package by clicking Help > Create Support Package.... The File Collect dialog box will appear. Select all check boxes to avoid useful information being missed. Clicking Collect will generate a support package and save it to your desktop (Figure 2). This support package will contain the diagnostic results and should be sent to Agilent technical support via email.
Figure 1. Bioanalyzer Diagnostics tab
Figure 2. How to create a support package in the 2100 Expert software
Resolving common test failures
Short circuit test
- If the failure occurs after electrode pin set cleaning, make sure that the pin set is completely dried before rerunning the test. Remove the pin set from the electrode cartridge and dry both with oil-free compressed air thoroughly. Alternatively, let the pin set dry overnight.
- If the pin set wasn't cleaned before the diagnostics, perform the maintenance of the electrode cartridge as described in the Bioanalyzer Troubleshooting and Maintenance Guide on page 155.
- Ensure that the humidity level in the environment is below 50% and the ambient temperature is 25 °C.
Clean the focusing lens with lens-grade, lint-free tissue paper, and isopropanol before rerunning the test.
Learn how to effectively maintain your Bioanalyzer:
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.