This Information Applies To: 2100 Bioanalyzer, 2100 Expert software
This article explains how to install the Agilent 2100 Expert software and connect a PC to an Agilent 2100 Bioanalyzer system.
Steps to follow:
The latest version of the Expert software, can be downloaded free of charge here. The read me file for this software, which contains information such as system requirements and installation instructions, can be found here.
If installing the 2100 Expert software to connect to a Bioanalyzer, rather than simply for data analysis, please consider the following:
- The latest software will work with the following Bioanalyzer models: G2939B, G2939A, G2938C, G2938B.
- Bioanalyzer model G2938A is not supported anymore and the newest software will not work with G2938A due to firmware incompatibility.
- If the PC has a serial port, this port can be used to connect the PC and Bioanalyzer. If the PC doesn't have a serial port, a USB to serial adapter must be used. If your Bioanalyzer is currently controlled using Expert software version B.02.07 or earlier, you will need to purchase a new USB to serial adapter cable. Windows 7 and 10 only support the drivers for the new model, part number 5188–8031. It is all black as opposed to the previous clear and blue version (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Bioanalyzer USB to serial adapter cables
- Before connecting the PC and Bioanalyzer with the USB to serial adapter cable, install the cable's driver, which can be downloaded by clicking here.
- To control a Bioanalyzer system two license codes, one for instrument control and one for electrophoresis, need to be entered into the Expert software.
Adding the Electrophoresis and Instrument Control Licenses
The license codes can be found in the following places:
- Two envelopes provided with the instrument: one for each license.
- By purchasing part number G2946CA, 2100 Expert software upgrade.
- A sticker on the instrument itself.
- If a PC has already been successfully connected to a Bioanalyzer, license codes can be found in the 2100 Expert software by clicking Help > Registration.... The License Administration Tool dialog box will appear with the saved licenses listed under the View/Delete License tab (Figure 2).
- If your PC broke down, and you cannot find your original licenses, please contact Agilent support, ideally with your original purchase order number.
Figure 2. License Administration Tool dialog box: View/Delete License
Follow these steps to add the licenses after downloading and installing the software:
- Launch the 2100 Expert software.
- Click Help > Registration...
- In the License Administration Tool dialog box, click Add License and one at a time enter the instrument control and the electrophoresis license codes (Figure 3).
Figure 3. License Administration Tool dialog box: Add License tab
Establishing and Verifying the Instrument and PC Communication
- Connect the 2100 Bioanalyzer instrument to the PC via a serial (COM) port or via a USB port.
- Turn on 2100 Bioanalyzer instrument and PC.
- Start 2100 Expert software.
- Select the Instrument tab in the Instrument context. In the tree view, highlight the appropriate instrument.
- Under COM Port choose a different port number from the drop-down list (Figure 4).
- Check the icon of the Bioanalyzer on the screen. If it is no longer dimmed and the icon of the Bioanalyzer in the Instrument context changes from closed to open to match the actual instrument lid status, a connection has been established (Figure 5). In addition, hardware information is displayed.
- If you have a PC connected to your instrument and the icon is still dimmed, repeat step 2, choosing a different COM port each time, until it is not dimmed anymore.
- If communication with the Bioanalyzer still cannot be established, create a Support Package in the 2100 Expert software. Click Help > Create Support Package > select all > Collect and the Support Package will be saved as a .zip file to the PC desktop. Please send it to your Agilent support representative.
Figure 4. COM Port drop-down list
Figure 5. Different states of the Bioanalyzer icon in the Instrument context
Learn how to effectively maintain your Bioanalyzer:
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.