This Information Applies To: Agilent Graphite Furnace Systems (PSD 120/GTA 120/240Z AA/280Z AA)
Maintenance procedure for replacing the syringe and plunger of the PSD 120 sample dispenser for the Agilent GTA and Zeeman Graphite Furnace Systems
Steps to follow
Warning: Sharp Object: The Syringe is glass. If broken during removal or replacement, the pieces of broken glass can cause severe injury
Figure 1. Removing the Syringe Block Assembly
- Pull the hinged cover downward to access the syringe module.
- Carefully pull the syringe block assembly and syringe from the module. See Figure 1.
- Unscrew the syringe from the block assembly by removing the two screws at the end of the block holder.
- Install the replacement syringe into the block assembly. Turn the new syringe in the block until it stops moving, but do not over tighten.
- Loosen the screws of the syringe block, tighten the syringe by 1/2 of a full turn
- Tighten the two screws of the syringe block until they do not freely move. Do not overtighten.
- Replace the syringe block assembly and syringe into the module. See Figure 2.
- Push up the cover to close the module.
- Prepare the syringe for use.
Figure 2. Replacing the Syringe Block Assembly
Preparing the Syringe for use
- Ensure that the probe is being rinsed properly:
- In the SpectrAA Software, in the Furnace Facilities page. select Rinse.
- The probe arm should raise and move over the carousel, then return to the rinse vessel.
- Once the probe is positioned at the rinse vessel, lift the probe arm in order to clearly view the end of the probe.
- Check for a continuous flow.
To Replace the Syringe Plunger
- Repeat Steps 1 and 2 of To Replace the Syringe above.
- Remove the plunger from the syringe. See Figure 3.
- Insert the replacement plunger into the syringe. See Figure 4.
- See the tips section for additional articles related to the PSD 120 operation.
Figure 3. Removing the Plunger
Figure 4. Installing the Replacement Plunger
Tips: See Alignment of the Sample Probe on the Agilent PSD 120 for additional information
Tips: See How to Set up the PSD Probe Arm for additional information
Learn how to effectively operate your PSD 120:
Agilent Programmable Sample Dispenser PSD 120 User's Guide user manual on Agilent.com