This Information Applies To: Agilent AA240, AA280 Atomic Absorption Systems with Sample Introduction Pump System (SIPS) Accessory
The following maintenance is recommended for the SIPS Accessory, model 10 (single pump), or model 20 (dual pump).
SIPS 10/20 Accessory
SIPS 20 Connections 1 Sample, 2 Standard or modifier (SIPS 20 only), 3 Diluent, 4 To nebulizer, 5 Continuous flow
See SIPS 20 Video to watch the SIPS 20 operating with SpectrAA Software
Steps to follow
|Tip: When you are using new tubing, do NOT connect the tubing to the T-piece for the first 10 minutes of the pump’s operation.|
- Inspect the pump tubing. If it is badly stretched or deformed when removed from the pump, or its cross section is oval-shaped, it must be replaced.
- Check that all connections to pump tubing, T-piece, and nebulizer are firm and there are no leaks
- Check that the nebulizer uptake rate is correctly adjusted using the procedure described in Nebulizer Setup (page 43). Check that there is a small positive flow of diluent from the Mariotte vessel when the SIPS is running at full speed.
- Wipe clean the rollers on each pump and the pump bands with a dry lint free cloth. Wipe the pump bands with a cloth dampened with alcohol.
- Check that the presser arms and other areas near the pump are free from dust, dirt, spills etc. Clean as required using a sponge or cloth dampened with warm water or mild detergent. Do not use organic solvents or abrasive cleaning agents.
- Remove the T-piece by disconnecting the pump tubes, the pump bands, and all other tubing. Place the T-piece in an ultrasonic bath containing 0.5% Triton X-100 wetting agent for 5–10 minutes. Rinse distilled water through all the inlets in the reverse direction to normal flow. Refit the tubing and reassemble. Replace the T-piece if it is blocked or damaged.
- Replace the pump bands, and pump tubes (aqueous or ketone-based solvents) when a QC solution of known concentration (that will require dilution) shows unacceptable accuracy or precision.
- Check that each roller rotates freely. If not, contact your Agilent Service for assistance.
Tip: When a new pump tube has been fitted, condition the tube as described in Conditioning the SIPS Pump Tubing (page 38)
Learn how to effectively maintain and operate your Agilent SIPS 10/20 System:
Agilent Sample Introduction Pump System SIPS 10/20 user manual on Agilent.com