How to quantifying alcohol content in pre-moistened wipes?

I am trying to figure out the best way to perform alcohol determination on alcohol pre-moistened wipes with respect to USP <611>. What would be the best way to extract the alcohol from the pads for quantification?

Anyone have experience with this?

Parents
  • Hi Chemist 123,

FTIR has proven to be a fast and easy solution to quantify alcohol in hand sensitizers. I think it could also be applied to alcohol wipes. If you use an ATR accessory you could even measure the wipes directly without any extraction.

All you would need is a series of wipes with known alcohol content (as standards) covering the concentration range you are interested in. Next, measure FTIR spectra of these wipes and create a calibration curve based on a suitable peak in the spectrum (e.g. ca. 1050 cm-1 for ethanol and ca. 1130 cm-1 for isopropanol). The calibration curve can then be used to determine the alcohol concentration in your wipe samples.

I hope that helps.

Fabian

• Hi Chemist 123,

FTIR has proven to be a fast and easy solution to quantify alcohol in hand sensitizers. I think it could also be applied to alcohol wipes. If you use an ATR accessory you could even measure the wipes directly without any extraction.

All you would need is a series of wipes with known alcohol content (as standards) covering the concentration range you are interested in. Next, measure FTIR spectra of these wipes and create a calibration curve based on a suitable peak in the spectrum (e.g. ca. 1050 cm-1 for ethanol and ca. 1130 cm-1 for isopropanol). The calibration curve can then be used to determine the alcohol concentration in your wipe samples.

I hope that helps.

Fabian

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?