How to quantifying alcohol content in pre-moistened wipes?

I am trying to figure out the best way to perform alcohol determination on alcohol pre-moistened wipes with respect to USP <611>. What would be the best way to extract the alcohol from the pads for quantification?

Anyone have experience with this?

Parents
  • My first thought is to run it like you would a blood alcohol sample.  You would place a know amount of the wipe, either by placing a specified area, or weight of wipe, to the headspace vile.  Then  perhaps a fixed volume of water with an appropriate  internal standard ( for example 1-propanol if that is not an ingredient in the wipes).  Start out with Headspace and GC acquisitions parameters similar to a blood alcohol analysis.  You would next optimize the headspace parameters and GC inlet parameters.  Standards used to calibrate the method could be added with the water along with the same amount of dry wipe material to create a matrix matched calibration if needed. 

• My first thought is to run it like you would a blood alcohol sample.  You would place a know amount of the wipe, either by placing a specified area, or weight of wipe, to the headspace vile.  Then  perhaps a fixed volume of water with an appropriate  internal standard ( for example 1-propanol if that is not an ingredient in the wipes).  Start out with Headspace and GC acquisitions parameters similar to a blood alcohol analysis.  You would next optimize the headspace parameters and GC inlet parameters.  Standards used to calibrate the method could be added with the water along with the same amount of dry wipe material to create a matrix matched calibration if needed. 

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?