Does anyone have experience using a column DB-CLP-1 for GC-ECD?

I have been working for analysis of trihalomethanes (THMs) and haloacetonitriles (HANs) utilizing an old HP-5. However, currently I am trying to develop a method for haloacetamides (HAMs) and this column (HP-5) does not give me enough sensitivity. I roughly can reach 10 ppb on my standards and I cannot be able to go lower. Apparently, someone else on my research group played with the current column at higher temperatures and these compounds (HAMs) use to show up on a bleeding zone, which made them very difficult to integrate. Anyhow, I was thinking to get the J&W DB-CLP-1.

Taking advantage of your attention, my research group also has a GC/MS 5977B that usually nobody uses, I was thinking to switch my disinfection by-products analysis to this instrument, but since mostly all DBPs I've been working so far are early peaks (RT-1-4 min) I am not capable to delay these peaks in order to overcome solvent delay (5 min). I am aware usually researchers use purge & trap or headspace for this. I just want to know If anyone else has succeeded without using any additional additaments to the GC. This GC has a HP- 5 UI column

Regards, ILP

Parents
  • Hi,

sensitivity has nothing to do with a column, but with the detector or the amount injected. Inject more or use less split flow or do some sample preparation before and it should work. 10 ppb is almost at the end of the detection scale of any detector. HP-5ms UI is okay, you don't need another column.

Regards,

Norbert

• Hi,

sensitivity has nothing to do with a column, but with the detector or the amount injected. Inject more or use less split flow or do some sample preparation before and it should work. 10 ppb is almost at the end of the detection scale of any detector. HP-5ms UI is okay, you don't need another column.

Regards,

Norbert

Children
No Data
Was this helpful?